The Goyang Geumjeong Cave massacre in Korea begins.
|Goyang Geumjeong Cave massacre|
|Date||9 October 1950 – 31 October 1950|
|Target||Individuals and their family members for being suspected of being communists or communist sympathizers|
|Deaths||150 or over 153|
|Perpetrators||South Korean Police|
The Goyang Geumjeong Cave massacre (Korean: 고양 금정굴 민간인 학살 Hanja: 高陽衿井窟民間人虐殺 Goyang Geunjeong Cave civilian massacre) was a massacre of over 153 unarmed civilians conducted between 9 October 1950 and 31 October 1950 by police in Goyang, Gyeonggi-do district of South Korea. After the victory of the Second Battle of Seoul, South Korean authorities arrested and summarily executed several individuals along with their families on suspicion of sympathizing with North Korea. The killings in Goyang coincided with the Namyangju Massacre in nearby Namyangju.
In 1995 the bodies of the 153 victims were excavated by their families. In June 2006 the Truth and Reconciliation Commission demanded that the South Korean government apologize and erect a monument for the victims. However, the government did not show any intention of following through on the TRCK recommendation. In 2007 the Truth and Reconciliation Commission again demanded that the government apologize, provide compensation, and erect a memorial for the victims; however, the government still refused. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission also clarified most of the victims, including 8 teenagers and 7 women, had no relation to rebels.
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission (South Korea)
- Bodo League massacre
- Jeju Uprising
- Mungyeong massacre
- Geochang massacre
- List of massacres in South Korea
- Hwang Chun-hwa (2011-11-29). "고양 금정굴 민간인 학살…법원 "유족에 국가배상을"". Hankyoreh. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Goyang Geumjeong Cave Massacre memorial service". Hankyoreh. February 9, 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- In 2007 the Truth and Reconciliation Commission clarified the number of victims was 153. -Hankyoreh 2011-11-29
- "'고양 금정굴 민간인 학살사건' 유족에게 1억원 국가 배상 판결 "헌법에 보장된 기본권인 신체의 자유와 적법절차에 따라 재판받을 권리 등 침해"". CBS. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- Song Gyeong-hwa (2010-07-05). "'금정굴 학살사건' 국가상대 소송". Hankyoreh. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Charles J. Hanley (December 6, 2008). "Children 'executed' in 1950 South Korean killings". San Diego Union-Tribune. Associated Press. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Park Gyeong-man (2011-09-19). "고양 금정굴 민간인 학살…법원 "유족에 국가배상을"". Hankyoreh. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "'고양 금정굴 사건' 유족에 1억 배상". Dong-a Ilbo; Yonhap News Agency. 2011-11-29. Archived from the original on 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "'고양 금정굴 사건' 유족에 1억 배상". Chosun Ilbo. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- Truth and Reconciliation Activities of the Past Three Years Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Republic of Korea